ORANGE WEDNESDAY

15:25


What rhymes with orange? A question that has teased minds since the beginning of language. This season, the zesty colour has presented a new challenge for me. What goes with orange?

Until now, I believed orange was strictly for prison jumpsuits and monks. It is a colour that has never lay in my wardrobe nor have I ever wished it to. It is halloween pumpkin costumes, high-vis traffic cones and ‘you’ve been tangoed’ jokes. It is not fashion-friendly. Or so I believed.

Fashion’s current individualist attitude is rubbing off on me. Maximalism is in, though it’s not something I could pull off. But keeping the style and cut simple and injecting a burst of colour? That’s something I can work with. And it so happens to be that orange is the colour I want to work.

Red may be the colour of the season, but it’s (currently) not a shade that I enjoy. Yes it’s love and lust and passion, but it’s also brash, flamboyant and brazen. It needs suitable colouring to pull it off, and a bold personality to match. It’s not something to be done half-heartedly. If red is danger and piping hot, orange is friendly fire. It’s warm and illuminating; if worn correctly it can make the wearer glow. You just have to find the right shade for you.


IMAGE CREDIT: ANNI PENG
So what is the answer to my ‘what goes with orange?’ question. The top of my tangerine wishlist is a pair of Missguided high-waisted trousers, and blogger Anni Peng (seen above) styles them perfectly, with a simple white cami top and some black platformed plimsols to keep it casual. I wouldn't add the sleeveless blazer myself as though I said above it's friendly fire, it's still fire. Approach with caution.


You Might Also Like

0 comments